• Raisins, sultanas, currants and grapes
  • Chocolate
  • Xylitol (a common artificial sugar, especially in chewing gum)
  • Antifreeze (especially in cats)
  • Garlic and onions
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Blue-green algae
  • Alcohol, caffeine and tobacco
  • Bread dough
  • Cooked bones
  • Human medication
  • Cleaning products (these should be locked away)
  • Rat poison
  • Permethrin in cats (Insecticide commonly used in dog flea products)
  • Mouldy foods can cause mycotoxin poisoning (keep bins secure)
  • Poisonous plants: lilies (cats), daffodils, azaleas, tulips
  • Objects that may cause a blockage if swallowed e.g. socks, toys, lollipop sticks and kebab sticks
Note: This list doesn’t contain everything.
Call  Your Vet

Call your vet if your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have

  • Try to find packaging from the substance swallowed (and have it with you when you phone the vet)
  • If chewing plants is suspected, try to identity the plant.
  • If the toxin is on your pet’s hair, stop them from licking it whilst on the way to the vets.
  • Your vet may even ask you to wash their coat immediately with washing up liquid.
Useful links / contacts
  • Chocolate Toxicity Calculator for dogs if your dog has eaten chocolate this will help you work out if it was a toxic dose. Remember to always call your vet if concerned.
  • The UK poison helpline is a good source of advice: 01202 509000.